This guide to Miyajima tide times goes along with this list of best things to do on Miyajima island.
Okay, so on the surface, it would seem like Miyajima at high tide beats out Miyajima at low tide.
And maybe it does.
Miyajima at high tide…
Miyajima at low tide…
Which is prettier? 😉
But good thing we are not superficial people. 😉
In an ideal world, you have a full day on Miyajima so you will be on the island for both high tide and low tide.
So then your day trip from Hiroshima to Miyajima would look like this:
- Get to Miyajima in the morning
- See the torii at low tide
- Go for the Mount Misen hike for amazing views
- Head back to the now floating torii where you will find it to be high tide and a seemingly magical transformation!
Or if you are on Miyajima when it’s high tide in the morning and low tide in the afternoon… the opposite!
Plan your trip to Japan
There are affiliate links below. You should totally check these things out to plan out your perfect trip to Japan!
How much does a JR pass cost?!
See the current price from an official JR pass vendor for a 7-day, 14-day, and 21-day pass.
What are the best tours in Japan?!
When is high tide on Miyajima and when is low tide?!
This varies day to day.
Check the Miyajima tide schedule before you go
You can check this website for the current day’s high tide and low tide times, and there’s also a calendar so you can check future individual dates. That’s the tide time website that the Miyajima tourism department refers to.
Itsukushima refers to Miyajima island.
You can also more easily check future dates in one look by checking this website. You can scroll down, and click on the month you want to look at (1 through 12). It will list the tide times for the entire calendar month.
The first column is the date of the month. In the other columns you can see the time of high tide and low tide, and the other numbers next to the time of day indicate the water level in cm.
Okay, so you’ve checked the tide times…
What if your itinerary is only allowing you a couple of hours on Miyajima (better than nothing!) and you won’t be able to stick around for the high tide time?
Well, low tide can give you a special experience too!
Here is a quick list of things that you can’t do when Miyajima is at high tide!
1. Walk to the torii shrine gate
2. Get up close and personal with the torii
3. Touch the torii
4. Put a coin in the torii
And finally, there is more to Miyajima than just the floating torii at high tide!
If you can’t get to the floating torii at high tide, the next best thing on Miyajima are the views at the Mount Misen summit!
Plan your trip to Miyajima
For more details on planning your trip to Miyajima, have a look at this perfect one day Miyajima itinerary!
HAPPY MIYAJIMA TIDE PLANNING!
How to spend winter in Japan
More quick tips for planning your trip to JapanThere are affiliate links on this page that take you to partner websites.
Among the top 3 things people get specific for a trip to Japan
- JR pass for quick and easy long distance train travel (see price here and see here how to calculate train routes to figure out it's worth it for you)
- Pocket wifi to make travel in Japan easier (see price here)
- Travel insurance for natural disasters just in case especially for travel disruptions (see price here and see here for past natural disaster that affected foreigners)
Food in JapanIf you are in Japan for FOOD, then be sure to see where to try different types of Japanese food! (Sometimes for cheaper!)
And also have a look at some of these cooking classes in Japan too.
When the JR pass is worth itIn general, 2 long-distance shinkansen train trips will likely end up making it so the JR pass will be worth it. But here's how to calculate it to be sure. See the current price of a JR pass from an official vendor.
Natural disasters in JapanUnfortunately, Japan can be prone to natural disasters which means risk for travel delays. So be sure to look at travel insurance for natural disasters.
My travel insurance took care of my accommodation and food costs when I was forced to stay extra days in Japan because of a typhoon. There have been a few typhoons that have hit Japan in the past couple of years and they can cause real travel disruptions!
See how much insurance costs for your trip.
Create your Japan itinerary
- 10 day Japan winter itinerary
- 5 day Kyoto itinerary
- Cost of climbing Mt Fuji from Tokyo
- Where to go for famous Mt Fuji views as seen in pictures
- Know before you go to Hiroshima
- One day in Miyajima with famous floating torii views
- 3 days in Okinawa, Japan's tropical islands
- Cherry blossom photo walk
- When is the JR pass worth it for train travel?
- Tokyo to Kyoto train
- Hostels in Japan