So if you want to visit a teahouse in Kyoto and try out some matcha green tea when you’re in Japan, you can do so with a visit to the Nijo Castle!
You’ll be able to make your own matcha tea straight from matcha powder.
You’ll want to highly consider a trip to Nijo Castle when you’re in Kyoto anyway, as this is one of the top UNESCO world heritage sites in Kyoto.
So, with a visit to Nijo Castle, you can also conveniently tick off the checkbox of making your own matcha too!
For more convenient tea experiences, try the Ginkakuji tea room if you’ll be visiting the Ginkakuji Temple, or try the Okochi Sanso teahouse if you’ll be visiting the Arashiyama bamboo forest. You can get matcha green tea at both places.
Japanese language tip: CASTLE
You might also hear Nijo Castle being referred to as Nijo-jo Castle, or just Nijo-jo.
The attached jo means castle.
But you wouldn’t use jo on its own to talk about a castle in general. This is used when attached to the name of a castle.
On its own, you would call a castle shiro or oshiro.
The Nijo Castle teahouse as part of a one day Kyoto itinerary
I made a visit to the Nijo Castle teahouse with an unlimited one day Kyoto bus pass:
- Nijo Castle
- Kinkakuji Temple
- Ryoanji Temple
- Yasaka Shrine
- Gion to Kiyomizu-dera walk (with Ninenzaka and Sannenzaka streets)
- Kiyomizu-dera Temple
On the Nijo Castle grounds
Walking towards the teahouse
So after you’ve entered the Nijo Castle grounds and made it past the Kara-mon Gate…
…and past the Ninomaru-goten Palace…
…and past the Ninomaru Garden…
You’ll start to come close to the teahouse!
You’ll likely see signs and you can make your way over as you walk along the castle moat.
So you’ve made it to the Waraku-an teahouse!
Now you can be seated and order your matcha!
How do you make matcha?!
It’ll come with instructions so you can give it a go.
Or you can go for regular green tea too.
Good luck, and happy drinking matcha as you sit back and relax!
How much does the matcha cost at the teahouse?
So this matcha cost 600 yen (US$5). (Green tea is the same price.)
You also have the option of ordering the matcha as a set that comes with small snacks for 1,200 yen (US$11).
The Nijo Castle teahouse can also just be a good place to rest a bit after walking around the castle grounds.
There’s a little bit of a variety to choose from if you want more than just tea.
HAPPY NIJO CASTLE TEAHOUSE VISIT!
Use this Kyoto tourist map to plan out your 5 days in Kyoto with Nijo Castle!
- Day 1: Top tourist spots with one day bus pass
- Day 2: Fushimi Inari Shrine hike through 1,000 torii gates
- Day 3: Philosopher’s Path walk
- Day 4: Arashiyama and Sagano
- Day 5: Kurama Kibune Ohara with one day pass
More quick tips for planning your trip to JapanThere are affiliate links on this page that take you to partner websites.
Among the top 3 things people get specific for a trip to Japan
- JR pass for quick and easy long distance train travel (see price here and see here how to calculate train routes to figure out it's worth it for you)
- Pocket wifi to make travel in Japan easier (see price here)
- Travel insurance for natural disasters just in case especially for travel disruptions (see price here and see here for past natural disaster that affected foreigners)