So this day will be a little bit of a day of contrasts in Kyoto with one day in Arashiyama and Sagano!
Arashiyama is located a bit away from the main area of Kyoto, but it is a popular tourist spot.
It’s basically another neighborhood in Kyoto that has some worthy spots to visit.
By following this Arashiyama and Sagano itinerary, you’ll get in a couple of the famous Arashiyama attractions in which crowds full of tourists are almost certain.
But you will also have a couple of activities that will allow you to escape those crowds too!
Best things to do in Arashiyama and Sagano in one day
1. Hozugawa River
5. Tenryuji Temple (world heritage site)
Arashiyama tourist map
This map may not work very well on this page on mobile, sorry!
In that case, have a look at this Arashiyama map in Google Maps!
Whether you’re on mobile or desktop, click on an icon for more information about each location!
How to get around for this Arashiyama and Sagano itinerary
- Kyoto Station to Arashiyama
- Hozukyo JR station to Hozukyo torokko station walk (and back) (OR Hozugawa river rafting)
- JR Hozukyo Station to Kameoka torokko train station (train + walk)
- Sagano scenic train ride to Arashiyama torokko station
- Walk to Okochi Sanso villa
- Visit Okochi Sanso gardens and teahouse
- Walk to bamboo grove
- Walk through Arashiyama bamboo forest
- Walk to Tenryuji Temple
- Visit Tenryuji Temple
- Walk across Togetsukyo Bridge
- Visit Arashiyama monkey park (check closing time before you go – it could be 4:30pm)
- Walk to train station
- Train from Arashiyama to Kyoto Station
Quick tips for getting around Kyoto
- The Google Maps app is also a reliable way to figure out how to get around Kyoto by bus and train
- The Japan Travel Navitime app can be good if you’re trying to figure out the best way to get around with a JR pass (or to help you decide if it’s better to get around without your JR pass)
- The Google Translate app has a feature where you can take a picture of Japanese writing and it will translate it for you
- The ICOCA card is SO worth it to get if you’ll be taking the bus or train to get around Kyoto. (No cost savings, but it’s highly convenient so you won’t have to go through the hassle of buying individual tickets! They are basically recharge cash cards.)
HAPPY ONE DAY IN ARASHIYAMA AND SAGANO!
Use this Kyoto tourist map to plan out your 5 days in Kyoto with Arashiyama and Sagano!
- Day 1: Top tourist spots with one day bus pass
- Day 2: Fushimi Inari shrine hike through 1,000 torii gates
- Day 3: Philosopher’s Path walk
- Day 4: Arashiyama and Sagano
- Day 5: Kurama Kibune Ohara with one day pass
More quick tips for planning your trip to JapanThere are affiliate links on this page that take you to partner websites.
For more on planning your trip to Kyoto, see the 1-day, 2-day, and 5-day Kyoto itineraries. If you'll be in Kyoto in the spring, also see the 1-day cherry blossom photo walk.
Hotels in KyotoSearch for deals on Kyoto hotels here.
For hostels across Japan, try this top backpacker's hostel chain.
Kyoto can also be a good place to stay at a Japanese-style ryokan, like this one. Or if you're on more of a budget, try this one.
Also use the map below to see more hotels in Kyoto!
The super fast train in JapanIn general, 2 long-distance shinkansen train trips will likely end up making it so the JR pass will be worth it.
See the current price of a JR pass from an official vendor.
See an example of traveling by the fast train from Tokyo to Kyoto.
Natural disasters in JapanUnfortunately, Japan can be prone to natural disasters which means risk for travel delays. So be sure to look at travel insurance for natural disasters.
My travel insurance took care of my accommodation and food costs when I was forced to stay extra days in Japan because of a typhoon.
See how much insurance costs for your trip.
Create your Japan itinerary
- 5 days in Kyoto
- Cost of climbing Mt Fuji from Tokyo
- Where to go for famous Mt Fuji views as seen in pictures
- Know before you go to Hiroshima
- One day in Miyajima with famous floating torii views
- 3 days in Okinawa, Japan's tropical islands
- Cherry blossom photo walk
- When is the JR pass worth it for train travel?
- Tokyo to Kyoto train
- Hostels in Japan