So this day will be a little bit of a day of contrasts in Kyoto with one day in Arashiyama and Sagano!
Arashiyama is located a bit away from the main area of Kyoto, but it is a popular tourist spot.
It’s basically another neighborhood in Kyoto that has some worthy spots to visit.
By following this Arashiyama and Sagano itinerary, you’ll get in a couple of the famous Arashiyama attractions in which crowds full of tourists are almost certain.
But you will also have a couple of activities that will allow you to escape those crowds too!
Best things to do in Arashiyama and Sagano in one day
1. Hozugawa River
5. Tenryuji Temple (world heritage site)
Arashiyama tourist map
This map may not work very well on this page on mobile, sorry!
In that case, have a look at this Arashiyama map in Google Maps!
Whether you’re on mobile or desktop, click on an icon for more information about each location!
How to get around for this Arashiyama and Sagano itinerary
- Kyoto Station to Arashiyama
- Hozukyo JR station to Hozukyo torokko station walk (and back) (OR Hozugawa river rafting)
- JR Hozukyo Station to Kameoka torokko train station (train + walk)
- Sagano scenic train ride to Arashiyama torokko station
- Walk to Okochi Sanso villa
- Visit Okochi Sanso gardens and teahouse
- Walk to bamboo grove
- Walk through Arashiyama bamboo forest
- Walk to Tenryuji Temple
- Visit Tenryuji Temple
- Walk across Togetsukyo Bridge
- Visit Arashiyama monkey park (check closing time before you go – it could be 4:30pm)
- Walk to train station
- Train from Arashiyama to Kyoto Station
Quick tips for getting around Kyoto
- The Google Maps app is also a reliable way to figure out how to get around Kyoto by bus and train
- The Japan Travel Navitime app can be good if you’re trying to figure out the best way to get around with a JR pass (or to help you decide if it’s better to get around without your JR pass)
- The Google Translate app has a feature where you can take a picture of Japanese writing and it will translate it for you
- The ICOCA card is SO worth it to get if you’ll be taking the bus or train to get around Kyoto. (No cost savings, but it’s highly convenient so you won’t have to go through the hassle of buying individual tickets! They are basically recharge cash cards.)
HAPPY ONE DAY IN ARASHIYAMA AND SAGANO!
Use this Kyoto tourist map to plan out your 5 days in Kyoto with Arashiyama and Sagano!
- Day 1: Top tourist spots with one day bus pass
- Day 2: Fushimi Inari shrine hike through 1,000 torii gates
- Day 3: Philosopher’s Path walk
- Day 4: Arashiyama and Sagano
- Day 5: Kurama Kibune Ohara with one day pass
How to spend winter in Japan
More quick tips for planning your trip to JapanThere are affiliate links on this page that take you to partner websites.
Among the top 3 things people get specific for a trip to Japan
- JR pass for quick and easy long distance train travel (see price here and see here how to calculate train routes to figure out it's worth it for you)
- Pocket wifi to make travel in Japan easier (see price here)
- Travel insurance for natural disasters just in case especially for travel disruptions (see price here and see here for past natural disaster that affected foreigners)