The Tenryuji Temple is located a bit outside the main part of Kyoto, in the area of Arashiyama, but you can make a temple visit a perfect part of one day in this area.
This temple is one of the most visited UNESCO world heritage sites in Kyoto.
Walking around the temple grounds and Japanese gardens can be a bit of a cultural experience.
And if you’re looking for even more of a cultural experience, you may consider trying out the “zen vegetarian restaurant” (Shigetsu restaurant) that’s located at the temple too.
Tenryuji Temple as part of one day Kyoto itinerary
I went to the Tenryuji Temple as a part of my one day in Arashiyama and Sagano:
- Sagano scenic tourist train
- Okochi Sanso Garden (and teahouse)
- Arashiyama bamboo forest
- Tenryuji Temple
- Togetsukyo bridge
- Arashiyama monkey park
Getting to Tenryuji Temple
The temple has more than one entry, and which you’ll want to enter from will depend on where you’re coming from!
A bit more of what you can see with a visit to Tenryuji Temple!
How much does entry to Tenryuji Temple cost?
So you can choose to get a ticket to just walk through the temple grounds. That would be the garden ticket, and that will be 500 yen (US$5).
If you want to walk through the temple itself, you’ll need to buy a temple ticket, and that is 300 yen (US$3).
Price subject to change! This photo was taken August 2018.
HAPPY TENRYUJI TEMPLE VISIT!
Use this Kyoto tourist map to plan out your 5 days in Kyoto with Tenryuji!
- Day 1: Top tourist spots with one day bus pass
- Day 2: Fushimi Inari shrine hike through 1,000 torii gates
- Day 3: Philosopher’s Path walk
- Day 4: Arashiyama and Sagano
- Day 5: Kurama Kibune Ohara with one day pass
More quick tips for planning your trip to JapanThere are affiliate links on this page that take you to partner websites.
Among the top 3 things people get specific for a trip to Japan
- JR pass for quick and easy long distance train travel (see price here and see here how to calculate train routes to figure out it's worth it for you)
- Pocket wifi to make travel in Japan easier (see price here)
- Travel insurance for natural disasters just in case especially for travel disruptions (see price here and see here for past natural disaster that affected foreigners)